Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Yelp Elite Events: Puppy Party & Tame Your Mane Night

Okay, everyone, I have a confession to make: I am a Yelp addict! For those of you who don't know, Yelp is a multinational corporation that hosts a website as well as a mobile app that allows its users to write and publish reviews about local businesses. I first found out about Yelp when two girlfriends and I went on a road trip to San Diego and decided to go to a spa. One spa had a check in deal via Yelp, so we all made accounts. I actually did not start using Yelp seriously until this past August, though. I've written numerous reviews, left tips about businesses, and interacted with fellow Yelpers. About two or three weeks ago, I received an e-mail notifying me about becoming an Elite. I was so excited, because I now got invited to Yelp Elite Events, or YEEs. I recently attended my first YEE this past Sunday, and I attended another one last night. I'd like to share some pictures with you all as well as my experience.

Puppy Party at the Zoom Room

My very first YEE was the Puppy Party at the Zoom Room in Walnut Creek. It was Yelp's very first dog-friendly YEE. I was able to bring a +1 human as well as a +1 furry friend. I obviously brought Alejandro and Meeko along for this. When we first arrived, we were greeted by the staff at the front desk and checked in. I then met the East Bay's Yelp Elite Community Manager, Nique (pronounced as "Nikki"). She checked us in on her phone, had us write our names on name tags, and directed us to take a family photo on the Yelp couch, which you see above. Meeko received a Yelp bandana to wear as well as a goody bag. There were also drinks and snacks for us humans too. In addition, there were doggie donuts for our little furry babies. The training area was set up with agility courses and a bobbing for hot dogs station. I think Meeko enjoyed drinking the water more than actually trying to get the hot dog. Haha! He met so many other dogs there and had a great time! Unfortunately, all of the dogs had to stay on leash, which was a bit frustrating. Meeko's used to playing off leash at the dog beaches and dog parks I take him to. Meeko got tired out from meeting all the other dogs, so he definitely slept well that night. It was awesome meeting other Yelp Elites and their dogs!
Snacks for the humans. Photo credit: Petra S.
Cute napkins! Photo credit: Dominique M.
Wine for the humans. Photo credit: Dominique M.
Doggie Donuts! Meeko loved the peanut butter one! Photo credit: Kate T.
Meeko's new friend
Meeko waiting for more dogs to come through the gate.
Let's get this Puppy Party started!
But first, butt sniffing time
Meeko was so excited to meet all the other dogs!
The agility course. Photo credit: Kory R.
Agility course. Photo credit: Kate T.
All of us Yelp Elites listening to the Zoom Room manager. Photo credit: Nique F.
Meeko with his goody bag. Poor guy. Can you tell he's tired?
Goody bag swag! Photo credit: Ron R.

Hot for the Holidays: Tame Your Mane Night

Last night, I went the the Tame Your Mane Night at the Chelsea Rae Salon in Pleasanton. I was able to bring a plus one, so I brought my friend, Sydney (she's my fiancee's best friend's girlfriend). We were a little late, because we got caught in traffic, but it didn't look like we missed out on much. The hair stylist, Melanie, showed us live demo hair tutorials for the holidays. She taught us different techniques to curl our hair, educated us on the different types of products to use, and answered all our questions. Sydney was chosen to be one of the live demo models, and Melanie gave her mermaid curls. She got super lucky, because she had a dinner to go to later that night! Sydney just cut her hair, and she had no idea how to style it, but these curls looked so cute on her! Since I had to drop her off at dinner, I asked if she wanted to go right after she was done, but she said, "No, let's stay." We wish we left afterward, because there weren't enough goody bags for everyone. We missed out. :( The goody bags had makeup, hair product samples, and a gift certificate for the salon. Womp womp. Some girls walked out with multiple goody bags, so that was a bummer. Oh, well. Next time!
Sydney getting mermaid curls

Before adding in product and running fingers through
Melanie adding sea salt spray. Photo credit: Nique F.
I really enjoyed attending my first two YEEs. I can't wait to go to more! If you're interested in reading my reviews about local businesses, you can check out my Yelp and add me here. That's all for now. Buh bye!
In Words, With Love,
Vanessa Mae

6 comments:

  1. Ohh how cool I don't think this is in the UK well if it is I haven't heard about it . Looks like loads of fun. xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,

      I loooove using Yelp! If you ever have a difficult time trying to figure out where to eat, who to go to for nails and/or hair, etc., I highly recommend using it. I believe the website for the UK is http://www.yelp.co.uk

      You should be able to find a mobile app as well. :)

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that there was elite Yelp group! I've never written a review myself, but that's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kayla! Missed you on here, but I understand writing has been consuming a lot of your time.

      Anyway, I didn't know much about the Yelp Elites until earlier this year when I noticed the badge on some people's profiles. I looked it up and saw the benefits the Elites had. My best friend and I made it our goal to become Elites. I was shocked to see the e-mail I got and have been trying to go to as many events as possible. They're so fun!

      Delete